The “Education Workforce Solutions of Brown County,” is a committee formed under the Brownwood Area Chamber of Commerce in 2008, and is made up of economic and workforce development organizations, chambers of commerce, higher education, K-12 education, major employers and business leaders. It was assembled following a community-wide strategic plan sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce to address the needs of employers.
The mission statement is, “Support and facilitate activities that encourage and enable Brown County students and residents to attend college and/or become workforce ready.”
Since 2008, the committee has met monthly to tackle issues such as entry level skill needs, the increasing role of technology, employee recruitment and “soft skills” (basic writing, work ethic, teamwork, problem solving etc.).
- New or enhanced high school career pathways in health science, manufacturing, construction and welding at multiple Brown County ISDs
- Enhanced College and Career days for Brown County schools
- Career investigations lab at Brownwood Middle School
- Robotics teams in several Brown County elementary through middle schools
- Robotics added to TSTC’s Applied Engineering Program
- Increased dual credit offerings in Brown County high schools
- Brown County Lone Star Graduate recognition for students who earn 30 or more college credit hours upon graduation
- Junior Achievement in Brownwood High School
- Technical Skills Mastery Certificate for skills earned at TSTC
- Ranger College RN program
- Brownwood Regional Medical Center nursing training facility
- Database of local employees in various industries to serve as guest speakers, mock interviewers, and resources for middle school – higher ed programs and instruction.
- 21st Century Leaders - a 12 week work readiness course for high school juniors and seniors for soft skills, employability skills, awareness of local employment and education opportunities.
- Received Workforce Award from West Central Texas Workforce Solutions, 2009
- Selected as one of six regions for SkillsNet state pilot program, 2010
- Presented at the Education Open Source Conference, 2010
- Presented at the Texas Economic Development Council Summer Conference, 2011
- Presented at Regional Texas Workforce Commission & Workforce Board Idea Sharing Forum, 2012